For this recipe, I was in the midst of dealing with company (not my doing) and deciding my dinner with other tummies in mind. With a fresh garden at my fingertips and a stock of pasta and tomato sauce, I decided to have at it. And so did everyone else…
Meatless Spaghetti and Sauce
No meat doesn't mean boring. Let's brighten this plate.
- 1/2 a box of Veggie Pasta
- 1/2 a box of Whole Wheat Pasta
- 1 Onion
- 2-3 fresh tomatoes
- 1-2 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1-2 Fresh Rosemary Sprigs
- 1 can of Tomato Sauce (I love Heinz!)
- Minced Garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Meatless Features: Olives and Mushrooms (Shiitake or Portobella)
- Prepare your ingredients – Dice your tomatoes and olives, mince your basil and onion, and chop your oregano, garlic and mushrooms. Prepare your sprigs of rosemary, and oregano and set them aside. Separate each into various bowls or holding spaces. Like a cutting board or a clean counter.
- Boil fresh water in a large pot, add a pinch of salt.
- Prepare a large pan – Add vegetable oil
- Heat the pan – Add your garlic and onions and let them cook for a minute or two.
- Add your sauce – Stir in all of your veggies and herbs. At low heat, simmer for at least 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Cook pasta in the boiled water. Most pasta is finished between 8 to 10 minutes. The longer boiled, results a softer noodle.
- Drain, and toss pasta with olive oil
- Check that sauce! Can you smell it yet? Prepare to add it to your pasta.
- Throw it all together! – Toss pasta and sauce into a large dish.
And that’s it! If you’re not vegan, add some of your favorite cheese to add to the top of any plate.